PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
updated Sept 14, 2009
What is PCOS?
PCOS stands for PolyCystic
Ovarian Syndrome. It is also known as PCOD (Polycystic
Ovarian Disease) and as Stein-Leventhal Syndrome.
What does it mean in
terms of fertility?
It means that the ovaries
and hormone levels function in a way that may prevent
Women who have PCOS may have
one or more of the following symptoms:
- Irregular or no periods
- Numerous cysts on the ovaries (frequently, but
- High blood pressure
- Elevated insulin levels, insulin resistance, or
- Excess facial and body hair
- Thinning of the scalp hair (alopecia)
- Weight problems or obesity centered around the
Additional information about
- A way to avoid ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome
- blog entry on FertilityStories.com - Feb 14, 2006
If you have PCOS and would like to tell
your story, we would be happy to hear from you!